I have an array (about 15 x 15) with years 1990-2003 along the top that is
missing data in some years, i.e. one series begins at 1990 and goes to 2000
while other series begin in 1998 and goes to 2003. The array content is in
number format to the first decimal place, e.g. 14.1. These values were
originally created by a formula and were in ratio format, e.g. 0.141, but I
converted them by multiplying them by 100 and then removed the fomula by the
"copying and paste value" command. When line graphing the array using the
ratio values, the image turns out as anticipated, i.e. the graph line
associated with a particular data series stops when the spreadsheet data
stops and similarly starts when the spreadsheet includes data. However, when
using the array containing the converted values, e.g. 14.1, the line graph
always begins and finishes a partial data series, e.g. one going from
1990-2000 or from 1997-2003, by going to zero. For example, if a data series
goes from 1990-2000 in the spreadsheet, the graph will plot a line that goes
from the value in 2000 to zero in 2001, even though the cell for 2001 for
that data series is empty.
I have created a "test" array in the same spreadsheet and entered some test
values that approximate those in the original array and am able to graph them
without any problem, i.e. the graph wizard doesn't automatically begin and
end data series with zero values.
I have tried every trick I can think of to get around this problem with no
success. I have copied the original array into different spreadsheets but
the problem seems to follow this data array. I have tried retyping the data
in the "offending" cells of the original array - no luck. However, I have
copied the array to a new location and "gutted" the data included in the
array (keeping only the column and row headers) and repopulated the array
data with "test" data that appears to be in the same format as the deleted
data and have been able to graph successfully.
Thus, the problem appears to reside with the data in the original array -
but I can't figure out how to resolve the issue.
All suugestions would be most welcome. Thank you in advance.